How not to promote an international auxiliary language

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Note to IAL advocates: don't compare people that don't like those languages to this man.

(Edit December 16: I've followed this up with the post how to promote an international auxiliary language.)

Over at change.org the idea to bring Esperanto in as a second language in U.S. schools is in third place in the Education category and will be going on to the second round, but the comments are certainly the most entertaining part. A comment submitted just now shows how not to promote a language:
P.S. Have just read the comment that this whole idea is "a ridiculous waste of time." People are, of course, free to believe this, but I hope they realise that, in doing so, they are lining up with people like Adolf Hitler and Jozef Stalin. Hitler attacked Esperanto, "an artificial language created by a Jew", in the pages of "Mein Kampf". Stalin has may Esperanto speakers murdered, as detailed in the excellent study by Dr Ulrich Lins, "Die Gefährliche Sprache" (The Dangerous Language). Esperanto has its own rich history and culture, which remain invisible to the unitiated. Tiu lingvo multe richigis mian vivon, kaj deprenis nenion de mia scio de aliaj lingvoj.
Ooookaaay...and driving on the Autobahn is also aligning oneself with Hitler, I assume? Total people swayed by this comment: zero, or most likely even less.



Edit: I just started a thread on Auxlang on the same subject, and wrote the following:

Since I've been spending too much time in the often very introspective Ido/Interlingua/LFN/etc. communities, I'd forgotten what Esperantists are often like when they promote themselves to the outside world. I don't know if everyone's been paying attention to this:

http://www.change.org/ideas/view/introduce_esperanto_as_a_foreign_language_subject_in_schools

But we've got Esperantists comparing people that don't like the language to Hitler and Stalin (Have just read the comment that this whole idea is "a ridiculous waste of time." People are, of course, free to believe this, but I hope they realise that, in doing so, they are lining up with people like Adolf Hitler and Jozef Stalin.), calling Americans stupid ( It clearly illustrates the ignorance of Americans regarding foreign languages), calling the general public stupid (Wise people are minority with neglegible impact on popular opinions, while stupidty reigns everywhere), calling Americans stupid again (The reason it is possible for a religious right to hijack the educational system in your country is that you are too insular and uninformed to fight back), and so on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree there is much ignorance about Esperanto - and oftenly - as they say in Usono, ignorance leads to prejudice, and then, prejudice leads to persecution.

Personally I think this video about Esperanto is so totally funny http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/trailer-for-espero-the-worlds-first-esperanto-sitcom/12207247/

Lighten up? Sendube!

Razeno said...

Interesting arguments.
I've been using Espernto for last 17 years and I feel proud to use it, though I'm a journalist at an English newspaper. Nothing in the world can give me the satisfaction, dignity and heppiness as Esperanto gives me.
I've complied a Nepali-Esperanto Dictionary.
Razen Manandhar
www.razeno.blogspot.com

Razeno said...

Interesting arguments.
I've been using Espernto for last 17 years and I feel proud to use it, though I'm a journalist at an English newspaper. Nothing in the world can give me the satisfaction, dignity and heppiness as Esperanto gives me.
I've complied a Nepali-Esperanto Dictionary.
Razen Manandhar
www.razeno.blogspot.com

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP